Saturday, August 19, 2017

Spring garlic

Last years garlic crop hanging in the laundry. Could be just enough to take us through to January which would be a first.  We usually run out. 


I was disappointed in the size of the bulbs  but size isn't an issue if you also have quantity. I have learnt to cure them under  the verandah before snipping off the stems and storing the garlic in a mesh bag. I have lost the odd clove to rot, barely any, and all bulbs storing well; this is my most successful method of storing them . 

If you look closely here is this years garlic crop coming through after an excellent winter chill. (A self-sown broad bean to the left, they were the last crop.) It had been so wet I wondered whether the cloves had rotted as I planted them back in about May. 




Now this unpromising piece of garden still has buried treasure. Actually I have discovered this year that the garden doesn't care how it looks. It still produces for me.  Look in the bucket below. 


 I suppose the photo doesn't help,  but when they are scrubbed and trimmed 
here's the best vegetables you can get.  I'm so proud of you guys. You are awesome. 



Now this is what I have been aiming for below, volunteers, self-sown kale  growing up amongst the spring onions. I've been trying to let the things I want self-seed and if possible...reduce the weed seeds. 


Weeds have a very short seed cycle and vegetables have a long one, heres the 
Problem.

2 comments:

  1. Ahoy there! How lovely to see your garden again...and I am most impressed by those vegetables. Soldier on little kale seedlings! As tiny as my garden is, I've missed it while the landscaping has been going on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jen, there never seems to be enough gardening time but mercifully, things keep growing whether you look at the or not...as long as you put them in, that seems to be the secret.

    ReplyDelete