Tuesday, January 27, 2015

fear factor


The distance between what I envisage for the garden, and what is actually there, has never seemed so great. Part of the problem is all the ideas on hold that are milling around in my mind; but it is so dry and to move a plant right now is to lose a plant, or at least set it back some. 
And then there is the mid-season disappointment as it becomes fully apparent what is faring well and what isn't. Silly really, it's not a competition and my little carrots taste just as good as big ones would; they are just following a different trajectory. 
In a world post-NCEA results, where plans for the schooling year are being made, it's good to remember that life is not a competition and there are many trajectories.


One of the chickens got out yesterday and she had a wonderful time scratching amongst these plants, broccoli inter planted with pak choi.  They are the follow-on from the garlic. It's a lovely transition, and an accomplishment, to have plants ready to go in as spaces become available.
In this instance the plants are my solar battery, harvesting the warmth and sunshine to draw on later.

There's a handful of blood and bone each and some scraggy compost; a big part of gardening, and cooking for that matter, is gathering and replenishing  your resources so that they are available when you need them.


The leeks I planted in December have all gone up to seed so I have planted more as the potatoes are lifted.
Some potatoes you dig, others you lift; and then there's bandicooting.



Today  it crossed my mind, will the garden ever be up and running or am I just making excuses. I remembered that garden makeovers are not my style. I really enjoy the process and potential and it is not a race. Come to think of it, the NCEA student has just endured my talk to that effect in the car; I love a captive audience. 
A family friend asked this son recently "What would you do if you couldn't fail?"
I think that idea is a good one for envisaging what I want in the garden. "If I could do anything what would I do?"
Let's see what unfolds...

5 comments:

  1. Well Miri I feel the same way about having a perfect wardrobe - it'll never happen but celebrate the moments of satorial success when they come together - as you say, it's the journey that counts - who wants to arrive anyway?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. come to think of it, if you've arrived, you may well be alone because most people seem to be still on their way...

      Delete
  2. Miri your garden is such a lovely place, with its wilderness regions and surprises popping up here and there. It never ceases to amaze me what you can harvest on a single walk around it. A fully put-together garden could surely not offer anything better than the one you have already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen, sometimes I'm looking way too far ahead and I miss the now. Thats right, a fully put-together garden would only be different, not necessarily better.

      Delete
  3. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC(www.ultimatelifeclinic. com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete