Thursday, October 3, 2013

Only the best will do

One of Gore's many charms is the spring show, I mean that in a collective way, I didn't go to 'the show' or anything.  There's all the public beds and the amazing central gardens but the domestic gardens are outstanding.
Not necessarily  in imagination or design (without excluding that possibility), but the volume and colour, bulbs, blossom, WoW.  September is the time to go to Gore and do a drive round; even the cemetery puts on a show so you can't say they're not catering for every body. He heh.
   
But to the plant in hand, French Tarragon, that's French for anyone who didn't hear me and you know who you are. It's not as hardy as the Russian or nearly as common. The craft shop had a little plant tray outside the main door, main street, Gore. Gosh that place reminds me of Groundhog Day. It's this seemingly insignificant town that is full of treasures like a great fish and chip shop, and a vibrant community no doubt, maybe even animals that hibernate over the winter.
I came away with the best souvenir from that little stall,  some interesting plants out of somebody's interesting garden.
 
These photos now are a bit old news. I collected all my out of date lettuce seed into one big mesclun mix and planted out a cold frame with it. Only 2 of the seed types seem to be viable at this stage. Good to have a clean out of old seed.
 
And this one, starting off the tomatoes for another year. This year, a few blackjack and about 10 Capri and that will fill up the space. Lots of little plants to give away. Just remind me.
 
I went up to feed the chickens early one morning and here they were stretching their legs, despite their new capacious extended run up the back. Thank goodness they haven't reached the silverbeet I thought... but there aren't many in the house who would be thinking that.  
 
And finally I found this photo on the camera. Seeing as it's school holidays I will include the recipe.
Perhaps someone in the house can make it.
Incidentally don't use Pams cocoa  for this. But standard Cadbury will do.
Cuts into 32 big triangles. That is 16 squares cut in half. 
Caramel square.
  • 200g butter
  • 1/2 C sugar
  • 1 1/2 C flour
  • 1/2 C self raising flour
  • 1/4 C cocoa
Step 1
Cream the butter and sugar and stir in sifted dry ingredients.
Press evenly into a largish tin. Bigger than a 20 x 30 cm sponge roll tin.  
I put a peice of gladwrap on top and flatten it with my hands.
Bake at 175 degrees celcius for about 15 minutes.
Step 2
  • 1 T butter,
  • 2 T golden syrup
  • 1 Can condensed milk.
 Melt the butter and syrup together then stir in the condensed milk.
 Pour this evenly over the par-cooked base.
Step 3
  • 80g butter
  • 1/2 C brown sugar
  • 1C flour
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 T cocoa
Cream the butter and sugar.
Stir in the sifted dry ingredients.
crumble over the caramel layer.
Bake a further 20 minutes until the caramel is brown around the edges of  the tray.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. Yum that slice looks good.
    I'm pleased to hear that you have the *genuine* French tarragon; you're right, I know who I am.
    Do you crack yourself up by calling mesclun "masculine"? We do, all the time. Kath and Kim jokes are so good, they never get old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If we didn't call it masculine before we do now! Actually it's been so long since I have had tarragon I have to relearn how to use it. Start with chicken I suppose and go from there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the Gore cemetery joke. Actually another real treasure of a shop that used to be in Gore - and may still be there - was a specialty food store which was called "Gore-met". Ken

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did laugh at that joke because it caught me by surprise. I had merrily typed it in before I saw the potential. Gore was a delightful surprise all up. Ate out at a great cafe, 'Howl at the moon' or something like that, (probably another local reference...) and experienced an equally dreadful one, and a couple in between.

      Delete